Excursion to Cerro Toco – 18373 ft (stratovolcano)8 December 2020
Licancabur volcano, green & white lagoons9 December 2020
visiting active volcano Lascar
Visiting active volcano Lascar is a privilege, to be amazed by the brute force of nature in a totally authentic environment. You cannot miss it.
The visit to Chile and San Pedro de Atacama cannot be complete without approaching an active volcano, so the best option for such a case is visiting active volcano Lascar.
About the Lascar volcano:
In the local language (Quechua) the name Lascar means “Tongues”, it is an active volcano with a height of 5592 meters above sea level.
To understand the power of an active volcano, it is worth mentioning that in April 1993 when it last erupted, the ashes reached the coast of Brazil blown by the wind.
Later in the years 2006, 2012 and 2015, the volcano had activity with ash columns that reached up to 3,000 m in height in 2006.
The Lascar volcano has an eruption frequency of about 6 years.
What makes this tour so special:
The most impressive thing apart from the trekking experience is to see an active volcano up close, with its fumaroles and the shape of one of the most powerful natural phenomena on our planet.
Not many people are lucky enough to visit an active volcano.
Program of the Visit to the active volcano Lascar:
- Depart from your hotel
- Arrival at the base of the volcano
- Passing through the towns of Toconao and Talabre
- We had breakfast on the way
- The ascent begins from a height of 4,600 meters above sea level
- The time of the ascent will depend on the pace of the group, which is generally about 3 hours.
- Stops for something to eat and drink water and enjoy the views.
- Once in the crater that is at 5,550 meters above sea level
- Participants can admire the beauty of the environment and fully appreciate the dimension of its crater that is around 750 in circumference and its fumaroles
- Descent towards the vehicle
- Return to San Pedro de Atacama
Notes and Recommendations:
- This type of tourist activity (Excursion to Cerro Toco) is not carried out in a luxurious or comfortable environment, it is nature in its purest state, it involves walking on roads with dust, wind, cold and adverse conditions.
- It is recommended to wear clothes for the wind and cold, special shoes for mountaineering and water.
- You can meet online and coordinate with other travelers and our team through our forum or by contacting us directly via contact form or WhatsApp.
Check out our other tours in Chile that we recommend you to combine during your trip: