SANTA BARBARA CASTLE TOUR IN ALICANTE24 April 2020
FREE TOUR IN SHANGHAI – Essential28 April 2020
FREE TOUR IN ALICANTE CENTER
Free Tour in Alicante Center is a tour to the past to know the best parts of the city, always with official guides and your rythm.
About what Free Tour in Alicante Center is?
When travelers decide to visit the city of Alicante, most of them get in mind the term beach, Spanish food, nightlife, proximity to Benidorm and many other summer resorts, but in reality this city hides surprises that the visitor never imagine, and only they understand it when we guide them in our Free Tour in Alicante Center.
Our proposal of “Free Tour in Alicante Center”, simply is like travel to the past, we cross streets once seen by Romans and built by Arabs, we will see important vestiges as the Castle that is imposed on top of the city of Alicante. The tour will reveal many stories, legends and secrets of the time of the Muslim rulers, conspiracies between the royalty that led to wars and justify their mark in every corner of the city and its inhabitants.
In addition to the history, the visitor discovers details of the culture and gastronomy of Alicante, our city has the most famous traditional nougat (Turron) of Spain and the world, and a bit tasting is included for free in the Free Tour in Alicante Center).
Free Tour in Alicante Center include:
- Basilica of Santa Maria: The oldest religious building in the city of Alicante, was built in the XIV century. The temple was erected on the remains of the mosque of Alicante. Rebuilt in the XV century after suffering a fire, with a baroque facade and crowned by two asymmetrical towers built in the XIV and XVIII centuries respectively. This Basilica contains many details that do not allow to escape, for example, the cover with an image of the Virgin, made by the sculptor Juan Bautista Borja, the main altar of the VIII century, the chapels of Baptism, the Immaculate and Communion and many more details.
- Esplanade of Spain: Or as they call it too; Paseo de la Explanada, is the promenade of the city. With an extension parallel to the port and the promenade of the Martyrs of Freedom, from the Puerta del Mar to the Park of Canalejas, for the Alicante inhabitants, it is the most concurrent place for the walk, especially in the worm seasons.
- The Town Hall: The building of the City Hall of Alicante is a Baroque palace of the XVIII century. Built between 1699 and 1780. It is a unique building with towers at the ends, a main facade of 49 meters in length. In the pillar where the railing of the main staircase begins is the “zero level”, a reference point from which the height above sea level of all points in Spain was measured, the same building is at a height 3.5 meters at sea level. Our guides will tell you many more details of this special building.
- Concatedral de San Nicolás: It is part of the two cathedral venues of the diocese of Orihuela-Alicante, together with the Cathedral of the Savior of Orihuela. It was believed that it was also built on the remains of a mosque, but this theory was discarded because no solid evidence was found, it is documented the existence of a hermitage since the XIII century, Its construction has a Herrerian Renaissance style that took place between 1616 and 1662.
- Hidden places in Alicante: In addition to the emblematic points mentioned above, we will pass through many places that tell and complete the history of Alicante.
- The Port: Built from the year 1476 but declared as a port since 1271, it has played a main role in the history of the city since the time of the Middle Ages, so, to know and understand the history of the city of Alicante, you have to know the details about its port. In short, the history of the city has always gone in parallel with the history of its port, whether by trade, war or culture.
- The Central Market: Open every day except Sunday, it is the most suitable place to taste local dishes at very low prices, fresh produce and the best of Mediterranean cuisine. In addition to being a market, historically it is the social center of the Alicante, where they met for shopping and talks.
- The Castle of Santa Barbara: Located on Mount Benacantil, a rocky ledge 166 meters high. Given its location in relation to the sea, it has always been a strategic place for defense and early warning since from this point you can see the entire bay of Alicante and its terrestrial surroundings. The palace is considered the largest medieval fortress in Europe. Although during the Free Tour in Alicante Center we will not visit its interior, we will dedicate a bit time to its history and main legends.
- Gastronomy: Our local guides know the best that the area offers in terms of gastronomy, the Mediterranean diet cannot exist without talking about Alicante, they will give you advices on what to eat and where. And we remind you that in our Free Tour in Alicante Center we give you the tasting of the traditional Nougat.
We cannot finish the Free Tour in Alicante Center without savoring a FREE craft beer CANE, courtesy of our beloved city.
The enjoyment of the trip to Alicante is not complete without tasting good local food and some parties at night, for this reason we have special tours dedicated to Gastronomy and Nightlife that complement the Free Tour in Alicante Center.
Contact us before traveling to Alicante if you still have doubts about the Free Tour in Alicante Center.
Check out our other tours in Spain that we recommend you to combine during your trip:
At begining of the “Explanada de España”, beside ice cream shop Peret.
Our Guides are the ones with the purple shirts!