highland lagoons & red stones viewpoint7 December 2020
visiting active volcano Lascar8 December 2020
Excursion to Cerro Toco – 18373 ft (stratovolcano)
The excursion to Cerro Toco is one of the most recommended and requested proposals by visitors who arrive to San Pedro de Atacama.
One of the most requested tours by our visitors is the excursion to Cerro Toco, a stratovolcano at a height of 18373 ft.
What is a stratovolcano:
For a volcano to have the name of stratovolcano there are several characteristics that identify it:
- High altitude (In this case we are talking about 18373 ft asl)
- The geological layers that it has are several composed of hardened lava and other layers of pyroclasts (lapilli and ash), these layers reflect the active and inactive periods of the volcano and alternate, which helps to understand the nature and future eruptions of the volcano.
- Lava of this type of volcano is usually viscous and at the time of the eruption it does not usually expand a long distance before hardening.
There are more characteristics that our guides will indicate to you during the excursion to Cerro Toco.
In Chile there are several stratovolcanoes, to name a few: Villarrica, Llaima, Osorno Volcano and Chillán.
About Cerro Toco:
The ancient natives gave it this name which means stone in the local dialect, it is called Cerro (hill) because access to its top is not very difficult. In its around there are remains of an old sulfur mine and also facilities of the new ALMA radio astronomy project.
The volcano is currently not active, which makes your visit one of the safest.
The Toco hill with its height and location offers incredible views of the entire Atacama area, therefore, it is one of the most recommended excursions.
Itinerary of the excursion to Cerro Toco:
- Departure from your hotel at 08:00
- Go through the international route Paso de Jama
- The route to the Toco volcano stratum
- Stop at the height of Hito Cajón entrance to Bolivia
- Contemplate and enjoy the panoramic views of:
- The Salar de Atacama
- Oasis of San Pedro de Atacama
- Salt mountain range
- Domeiko mountain range
- Cerro Kimal
- Return to San Pedro de Atacama
Notes and Recommendations:
- This type of tourist activity (Excursion to Cerro Toco) is not carried out in a luxurious or comfortable environment, it is nature in its purest state, it involves walking on roads with dust, wind, cold and adverse conditions.
- It is recommended to wear clothes for the wind and cold, special shoes for mountaineering and water.
- You can meet online and coordinate with other travelers and our team through our forum or by contacting us directly via contact form or WhatsApp.
Check out our other tours in Chile that we recommend you to combine during your trip:
Reception of the hotel where you are staying